Saturday, April 9, 2016

I'm not sure that was the revolution I had in mind.

I'm not sure that was the revolution I had in mind.



 I've been reading a book about the Japanese incarceration during WW2.   
My sympathy is with these people; however, I get caught up in my clients' historic basis.
My own dealings with Japanese has been interesting.   Form is so very important.   All too often more important than substance.   It is this very atribute that frustrates me in today's society.   Substance is unimportant.

I do have a story to illustrate the point.    

As you know the various trade programs have had some very very unforseen consequences.   One of the consequences has been that in many instances it is cheaper to purchase completed product overseas rather than build it here.   In several instances the complete product can be purchases in Asia at the cost of the raw material right here.   In other instances the product is engineered to specifications that must be built here, even though no one wants our product.

In the gaming industry such is the case. Ergo, my client ***** builds gaming machines in Chicago that even smell like they were made in the orient.    When a Japanese manufactured outsourced a product to my client, his attorneys sent a contract to him for signature.   The contract was duly forwarded to me for examination.   As the contract was in Japanese I had a bit of trouble reading it, and thus called the attorneys in Japan to send me a properly translated copy in English.

With great fan=fare I received my copy.   It was a great contract, except it had one clause that I found objectionable.   It stated: "in the event that the manufacturer changes the specifications for this product, the contract shall remain in full force and effect and the contractor shall do its best to cope." 

When I hit that language I was back on the phone to inform the attorneys that the contract was fine, except for that clause.   To my surprise I was told that the clause was non-negotiable.

Having years of experience in dealing with the Chinese and Koreans I knew that I was going to get absolutely no=where by arguing.   So I purposed that we make the contract in favor of an Illinois corporation that I set up that afternoon.    I explained that the corporation would have the mininium ($1000)capitalization and would hire my client to subcontract the manufacture with no recourse and the offending clausing missing.   The agreement was instantanous!    For the next decade plus - into perpetuity the product is manufactured by the dummy corporation and everyone is happy.    WE EVEN SIGNED THE JAPANESE VERSION OF THE CONTRACT!   

The big difference between this situation and political situation is that both the contractor and the contractee are honorable people who could and are essentially doing business on a handshake.   Would you purchase a used car for Donald, Hillary, Ted, Bernie *****?    How about the current crop is pols?      

(I hope your answer was NO) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting.
Your comment will be held for approval by the blog owner.