Tuesday, December 1, 2015

they are also people who are subject to all the human deficiencies

they are also people who are subject to all the human deficiencies.

I was fortunate to have a law practice that was unique and varied.   Among my clients were not only lawyers, but judges.   On one occasion, during the course of a trial a Federal District court judge called me into chambers to discuss with me a problem that he had.   It seems that he went to refinance a home that he owned on the East shore of Lake Michigan and could not get a loan.   It seems that the house that he enjoyed was not on the lot deeded to him.

The expert witness who I was examining at the trial had the idea that I had some special expertise.   Anyway, after the close of the session the Judge and I drove out to his home on the East shore of the Lake.   Thus began a series of unique adventures.    

Ambassador Arthur Goldberg used my services to address problems that came up involving privacy and matters affecting his brother in law and also his daughter.   I and his son in law also played tennis with him.    

I do have to relate an incident that took place with the District court judge.   Judge James Parsons was African America and was appointed to the Federal bench by JFK.   Parson bought a house on the East shore of Lake Michigan.   After I resolved the problem, the Niles Bank was persuaded to refinance the house and provide the funds for the land purchases that were required to resolve the Judge's problem.   As the solution to the problem was not one that would appear in the text books and was one that no one but a demented lawyer from Chicago would dream up the final closing was the signal for a celebration - at the Bank's expense.

The banker took us to his country club.   We found a very nice place to sit for lunch and waited and waited for our order to be taken.   Eventually I grew restless and walked over the operator of the restaurant facility and suggested in rather harsh terms that I would like to have a waiter take my order.   To my dismay, I was told that the club did not cater to Negros and as long as that black man was at our table we would not be served. 

I am sorry - I could not help myself!   I had never before been discriminated against!   I was not outraged, I was absolutely amused.   With an uncharacteristic gleam on my face, without missing a beat I said:

"shall I tell United States District Court Judge James Parsons that you will not serve him because he has a dark hue to his skin?"

Within second we had waiters up to our GMs.    When we left the facility Judge Parsons asked me if I had once again said something nasty.   (That was not his words)

Justice/Ambassador Goldberg called me the nite before I was to appear before the Supreme Court of the US to tell me he had read my brief.   He remarked that I could have shorted it dramatically.   When I asked how, he confided in me that I could have reduced the brief to two words:  Rehnquist sucks!   (It turned out he was absolutely correct - even though technically the result of the case goes in the win column. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting.
Your comment will be held for approval by the blog owner.