Back Next
Courtesy of Tara Wilson

"I Made a Small Change"

Attorney Tara Wilson of Andover, MA, had many of her own estate planning documents in order. But after her grandmother fell ill at 84 and her relatives disagreed on her care, the court appointed a stranger as guardian, overruling her grandmother's wishes.
"The guardian kept her from her loved ones, put a reverse mortgage on her house, moved her to a nursing home and squandered her savings. From all this I learned that I needed to name a second and third choice for healthcare proxy and power of attorney, and add a provision to my will that the court is not to appoint anyone else to represent the interests of my children. And I keep my will up to date."
  • Back
    3. Create your will
  • 5 of 6
  • Next
    Financial Expert
Restart Slideshow

Related Links